Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sister's Sunday: Family Prayer

So I have now declared Sunday as "Sister's Sunday." A day for women written by women! My great Mother and Sisters have agreed to be so gracious as to write the post for me! So here is Jenna:


In this months Ensign there is an article by Diane M. Ferguson titled "Families That Pray Together."  I have always believed in the power of prayer and of it's importance for us to stay close to our families and close to our Heavenly Father. I remember I was teaching a children's primary class one Sunday, and I was trying to relate to the children why it is so important to pray. I asked the children why their parents like to ask them about their day and how school went for them.  I explained to them that their parents love them and want to know what is going on in their lives. The same is true with our Father in Heaven.  Our Heavenly Father loves us very much and he wants to know what we are doing.  He wants to bless us and provide us with comfort and strength.  The only way, however, for our Father in Heaven to know how to help us, is if we talk to him. At the beginning of the article it says "Praying with our families helps us align our will with our Heavenly Father's, resulting in blessings of strength, comfort, and inspiration that enable our families to experience the love of the Savior more abundantly."  My question is, why would we want to deny ourselves and our families of those wonderful blessings?  There are many challenges in this life and I am grateful for the ability to pray to our Heavenly Father to receive comfort and strength. I am grateful for the blessings of family and the ability to grow stronger as we pray with each other and for each other. I know that prayer is a true principle of the gospel and I am grateful for the love of my Savior and Heavenly Father. President Thomas S. Monson said "There is no more beautiful sight in all this world than to see a family praying together. There is real meaning behind the oft-quoted 'The family that prays together stays together.'" ("Come Unto Him in Prayer and Faith")



Thank you so much Jenna, for sharing that great post about Prayer. I too know the power of Prayer, especially in the busy lives that so many women have. I know that prayer can and will help you in all that you do to bless your families and those around you!

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea, Elder Dye! Jenna did a wonderful job sharing her feelings about prayer. I totally agree. Through the years our family has been so blessed to be able to go to our Heavenly Father in prayer. He is so anxious to bless us and comfort us if we will just turn to Him with our concerns and needs. Daily prayer will strengthen us to go out and meet the challenges we face every day.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment about what you feel about the post, any questions, similar experiences or added insights!