Monday, April 25, 2011

The Empty Tomb

Since it is Easter season, I have been thinking a lot about Christ and what he has done for us. I often focus on the suffering and pain that he went through in Gethsemane and on the cross to help me in my own trials and Gethsemanes. But this time I have decided to think more about the empty tomb that blessed Sunday morning!! This morning I read the accounts from the Gospels about Mary Magdalene and others discovering the empty tomb and the Resurrected Lord! The power of that experience hit me this morning! I can only imagine how Mary Magdalene felt as she went to the sepulchral to take care of the body of her beloved Savior, and find the tomb EMPTY!! I can imagine the rush of emotions that hit her all at once, fear, frustration, anger, doubt, depression etc. etc. As she was on the ground crying and I am sure wondering why, she looked in the tomb again, and saw angels, who then asked, "Woman why weepest thou?" (John 20:13) She responds "Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him."(John 20:13) The angels comfort her by saying, "Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified. He is not here for He is risen." (Matthew 28:5-6) And then "...she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away. Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master." (John 20:14-15) She realized that it was Him, that He truly had risen! I am sure that she was then filled with joy and excitement!



So in our lives we often come to a tomb, and find it empty. Those emotions of fear, frustration, anger, doubt, depression etc. etc. then swarm us but if we look with proper perspective we will too find comfort just as Mary did. I have found that comfort over and over again in my life, because of what happened there at the sepulchral that wonderful first Easter morn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment about what you feel about the post, any questions, similar experiences or added insights!