Sunday, May 1, 2011

Sister's Sunday: Oh Sweet Music!

Who doesn't love music? I am sure you do! I know that I do, and I know that my awesome sister Alyssa does! So here is Alyssa with the Power of Music!!

Elder Dye suggested that I write something about music, and I thought it would be very fitting since I will have performed my senior recital Saturday April 30! I am graduating this semester in music education.




Like so many other things, I think that the Lord created music to bring about his work. I think the reason I ultimately became a music major is that I have had so many faith building experiences through music. I have had experiences where something, maybe a decision, suddenly becomes clear. I understand that there is a plan, and I can feel my Father's love.

In 1830, Emma Smith was directed by the Lord to collect hymns for a hymn book for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The Lord knew that music was important. It is so prevalent in the way that we worship. If used right, it can bring the spirit into any meeting. I know that that spirit can testify to those listening that the words being sung, often testimonies of others, are true! One of my favorite hymns is "I Know That My Redeemer Lives". Every time I sing or hear this song, I feel so strongly that my Savior does live! It is so comforting to me. I know that he is always there to wipe away my tears and I can feel his love so strongly.

Music is powerful. It is all around us every day. Many of us wake up to music, drive to work with music on, actually work with music on, etc. It is amazing how much it influences our lives, both in positive and negative ways. What if I always tried to listen to music that would uplift me or bring the spirit? I think that I could be one step closer to becoming like Christ, because the choice to listen to wholesome music will bring the spirit, and with the spirit guiding me I know I can do great things. Elder Busche said in a BYU devotional, "...The greatest achievement that can be reached in our lives is to be under the complete influence of the Holy Ghost. Then he will teach us what is really good and necessary to do." I am so grateful for music, and I am so grateful for this gospel and the peace it brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment about what you feel about the post, any questions, similar experiences or added insights!