Sunday, June 12, 2011

Siter's Sunday: Be Ye Therefore Perfect

Here is a post by Gayle Dye, Thanks Gayle!

“Be ye therefore perfect even as your father which is in Heaven is perfect.” (Matthew 5:48)



Recently Brandon and I were asked to speak in sacrament meeting. We were asked to speak on Matthew 5; The Sermon on the Mount. Jesus Christ is the perfect example we have of perfection. His entire life was focused on teaching, serving, healing, loving and sacrificing all he had for His Father’s will. The whole point of The Book of Mormon is to bring men unto Christ. The scriptures are full of his teachings and experiences he had here on this Earth. I have three favorite moments from his life.
  1. In his early childhood when he was lost for three days. He was found by the temple teaching doctors or teachers about the gospel. The important thing in this story is that he was teaching them and they were asking Jesus questions. This young boy was closely in Heavenly Father’s hands as he began to learn and share the gospel with all those around him.
  2. When men brought an adulterous woman before Christ and said that she should be stoned for sinning in adultery because that was the law. Christ looked at each of them and said then he who is without sin, be the first to cast a stone. Each man left. This moment shows how merciful Jesus Christ is. He was able to tell the woman to “go and sin no more.” Christ loves each of us so perfectly he was able to look past the grievous sin of the woman, and give her a second chance.
  3. As he hung on the cross he had to give up his own life in order for each of us to live with the Father again. No other man could have done this. It was his job, but how selfless this was of him to give up his own life that we may live again.

As humans we know we are imperfect. We sin, we struggle, and most of all, each of us goes through trials. We are however, never alone in these trials. Heavenly Father sent his only begotten son for us; so that we could be happy and return to him again one day. Heavenly Father knows us so perfectly that anything we struggle with we can look to Him and Christ. He challenges us with new trials all the time. They are hard and they are trying. I know and am learning firsthand that life is not easy. I recently graduated with my degree in elementary education. I have been praying and searching endlessly for the right teaching job. It has not come. I’m learning patience and prayer are my two best friends. Every once in a while I can feel Heavenly Father’s arms around me telling me that everything will work out. As I prepared my talk on the atonement I came to realize that the reason the Lord gave us The Sermon on the Mount is to help us become perfect like him through Christ. What beauty is in those words. I have a testimony of the gospel. I know that the Savior lives and loves us. Heavenly Father gave us the Savior that we will be able to live with him again one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment about what you feel about the post, any questions, similar experiences or added insights!