Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Look Through Heaven's Eyes

Continued from "Trash to Masterpiece"

Although we may be a piece of trash, we have to look at ourselves through heaven's eyes, and not the eyes of the world. For the world will tell us we are a worthless piece of garbage, but heaven will tell us that we are a lovely piece of trash, that with some work we will soon be a beautiful masterpiece.

Here is an example of looking through heaven's eyes at trash.

These are examples of how men, looked at a pile of trash and did not see the worthlessness and uselessness of it as the world does, but they looked at that trash through  heaven's eyes, and saw the great potential it had. Yes, I am sure that it was a lot of work, that these men needed a lot of help and that there were many hard times. But look at it now, homes made of trash!

So it is with our lives, if we look through heaven's eyes we will see the great potential we have and with some hard work, and a lot of help from Christ and good friends, we can turn our lives into a masterpiece that is worthy to enter into God's kingdom.

I love the song, "Through Heaven's Eyes." Here are some lines from it:
"So how can you see what your life is worth
or where your value lies
ohhhh, you can never see through the eyes of man
you must look at your life
look at your life through heaven's eyes

"Should a man lose everything he owns
has he truly lost his worth
or is it the beginning
of a new and brighter birth
So how do you measure the worth of a man
in wealth or strength or size
in how much he gained or how much he gave
the answer will come to ya
to look at his life through heaven's eyes"

In the last several months I have had a lot of feelings of weakness and inadequacy. I got down on my self pretty bad, to the point where I was often depressed and discouraged. As I was in this state, everything seemed to be crumbling around me. My stutter was the worst it had been my entire mission, I didn't recognize the promptings from the Holy Ghost as much, and I began to think that I was failing! With the quite bold help of my mission president and a great companion, I was challenged to look at my life through heaven's eyes, and quit listening to the voice of the great deceiver. For I am of great worth, and although I make mistakes everyday, and slip and fall often, I am not and will never be worthless in the site of God, I will always have great potential in his eyes, if I but make the decision to change, and put some work into it. For Christ said, "there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth" (Luke 15:10) As we try our best to continue to improve, but realize that we are not perfect and it will take time, we will be blessed! Don't ever give up on yourself!

Here are the words that my sister wrote to me, when I was in the midst of my discouragement, "Do not get hard on yourself. I have been kind of doing the same thing to myself. I know that I always need to try harder, and it is very important that I do so, but I need to also look at all the good things that I am doing. This last week was one of those weeks for me where I had to turn around how I was thinking, and then move on and continue to try harder while maintaining a positive outlook."

I know the blessings that come from doing that, trying to improve while still having a positive outlook. I have been trying really hard to do just that the last two weeks or so, and oh how much better I feel. I am happy, my stutter is almost unnoticeable now, I have peace in my life, and I feel the spirit much stronger than before. I know that God loves me. I know without a doubt that he answers my prayers. It does take hard work, but it IS WORTH IT!! Keep trying, never give up, and when it seems to get too hard, turn for help. Turn to God, and priesthood leaders. Beware, of the negative thoughts that come into your mind, for they are not of God. "Wherefore, all things which are good cometh of God; and that which is evil cometh of the devil; for the devil is an enemy unto God, and fighteth against him continually, and inviteth and enticeth to sin, and to do that which is evil continually." (Moroni 7:12) Continue striving to do your best, and access the atonement the best you can, by going to church, reading the scriptures and praying. If you do these things you can become a masterpiece in the kingdom of God!!

Here are some resources that could be of help to you:
"Do Not Despair" - Ezra Taft Benson
"From the Valley of Despair to the Mountain Peaks of Hope" - Harold B. Lee
"'Awake My Soul!': Dealing Firmly with Depression" - Steve Gilliland
"Overcoming Feelings of Inadequacy" - David S. Baxter
"Notwithstanding My Weakness" - Neal A. Maxwell
"LDS Family Services: Depression"

I love the Gospel, and I love happiness! I know that the gospel will bring us happiness. If there is anything that I can do to help you overcome depression, discouragement, or just a hard time, please let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment about what you feel about the post, any questions, similar experiences or added insights!