Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My Dad!

My Dad is the greatest! As I think about the things that he does and the amazing example he is, there is no other way to describe him then amazing! Well, I guess incredible, wonderful, great, outstanding, fantastic, marvelous... I think you get the point! I love my dad!!!



He loves people more than almost anyone else I know. Growing up my mom and I would sing in the choir, which practiced before church every Sunday, my Dad did not sing, because we wanted to have the time to go and talk to everyone that was at church that day, to hug them and tell them that he loved them! And he was ALWAYS sincere! With that love, he would do anything for anyone. I still remember going with him and my brothers to help people move. I am sure that my Dad has helped hundreds of people move, he was busy, but there was always time to serve! What an example of service he is. I am so grateful for the opportunities that I have had to serve, and the lessons of service I have learned from my Dad.

My brother Richard says this about my Father, "I have a lot of great memories of Dad, especially on camp-outs and family outings. One thing I really always loved though was that he would always be willing to shoot hoops, kick a soccer ball or catch a baseball after a long day of work and sore wrists. It meant a lot to me that he'd do that for us and spend time with us whenever possible."



We always did things together as a family, and it was almost always outside. My Dad taught me how to shoot a basketball, swing a bat, hike, load a backpack, repel, start a fire, and so many other things that have to do with nature and being out in it. He taught me to have a great appreciation for God's creations and find joy in them!



My dad taught me how to change the oil, brakes, alternators, fuel pumps and water pumps on our cars, since it seemed like they would always go out!



My dad taught me lots of things, but most of all he taught me the things that matter most. How to love others, the Lord and the Gospel. When my brothers and I were younger he would sing us to sleep. He would always sing the primary song, "I Wonder When He Comes Again." I love this song so much, and get emotional almost every time I hear it now!

My Dad just had such a sweet way to share the gospel even with us! He taught us how to share the gospel with others, and the importance of missionary work. My Dad was always involved in missionary work, serving his own mission then constantly supporting the missionaries and sharing the gospel with those around him. He also taught us consistency and the importance of reading the scriptures. Here is Richard again, "I would have to say though there is one memory of Dad that always stands out, that is of Dad's Book of Mormon that he takes to work to read for lunch each day. I've heard him tell stories about being mocked and ridiculed and having to eat alone. I still feel a great sense of pride and love for Dad when I picture the dirty, worn pages of his Book of Mormon by his lunch pale when he comes home. I think of his dedication to the Church, his love of God and our family.... priceless memories of someone standing up for what is right and good. Love you DAD!"

My Dad has taught me everything I need to know and do to help me return to my Heavenly Father.

I love you Dad!

1 comment:

  1. You have posted a wonderful tribute to a great man. Elder Dye, you have honored your father many times and in many ways!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment about what you feel about the post, any questions, similar experiences or added insights!