Saturday, August 27, 2011

Dying for Happiness: The Trial of My Life ~ Part 2

A continuation from: "The Trial of My Life ~ Part 1"

So now that the commitment to God was there, the work began. Once a week I had therapy with Dr. Susca, and then the hard part, implementing what I learned into my regular speech. I had to begin to stutter, and I had to be okay with stuttering in front of my friends, peers and adults. It was hard, but with the newly found happiness and positive attitude it began to become easier. I am so grateful for good friends who supported me through this trial, and did not show frustration or annoyance towards my stutter. One friend even said, "It never really bothered me, and sometimes I even found it fun to try and guess what he was trying to say."  One funny experience that I remember in this time, trying to stutter and not hide it was with this same friend.

I loved Jamba Juice, I mean who doesn't, it is just so delicious, but there was always one thing that I hated about. They ask for your name to put on the order. It is proven that with many people who stutter one of the hardest things to say is there name. I was no different. So this one time, we go to Jamba Juice and order, and she asks for my name, JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ... I pause and try to get my composure. JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ, I tried again, but it was just not coming. Third times the charm right? JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ, nope, still not happening! Then my friend stepped in and said my name to the lady who I am sure was frustrated by this point. It was a hard experience, but as we left we all laughed about it, and made light of the whole situation. Again, I am grateful for friends who made my trial easier and more fun!

After continued effort on my part and counseling from Dr. Susca I began to get my stutter under control, the proper way, not by hiding it. I was able to talk  more freely and with more confidence, and I was able to communicate my desired thoughts.

Mom continues, "We will be eternally grateful for Doctor Susca's willingness to help get Elder Dye on his mission.  He is not a member of our church, but he knew about the pressures missionaries would face, so he would 'test' him.  Question his faith, and put him in uncomfortable situations in order to teach him how to respond."I was able to talk again, which I knew meant that I would be able to serve a mission. A goal I always had, but an achievement that seemed far distant for quite some time. How could I serve a mission if I couldn't talk? Well, God is love, and He loves us, and he will "Prepare a way for [us] that [we] may accomplish the thing which he commandeth [us]." (1 Nephi 3:7)

Mom concludes, "As parents it's sometimes very difficult to watch our children suffer.  I'm so thankful for a son who did not give up on his desire to serve a mission. Who did what it took to be prepared and for wonderful people willing to accept him and his challenges.  I know when we take our problems to the Lord we will be directed in ways that we would never have thought of on our own.  The Church is true. The gospel of Jesus Christ can bring joy and happiness to our lives if we keep the commandments and rely on the Lord."


"If [we] will turn to the Lord with full purpose of heart, and put [our] trust in him, and serve him with all diligence of mind... he will, according to his own will and pleasure, deliver [us] out of bondage." (Mosiah 7:33) Whether that bondage be a speech impediment, an addiction, an inappropriate relationship, or any other trial that we can face in this life, through Christ, there is a way out! That I know!

If there is any one who reads this that has questions that I could answer or a trial that through my experience might be able to help you through, PLEASE let me know. Leave a comment or email me, jordan.dye@myldsmail.net.


To read the Previous Posts in the Series and learn about upcoming posts, check out the Series Page.

5 comments:

  1. Your moms commentary reminds me of a little story that I have glued into my scriptures of a mother's love. I hope this comment section is long enough to accommodate it....

    "Much of my childhood my mother spent on her knees. She was not giving thanks. She was praying for strength. I was trouble with a capital T. Dad always said I was the rock-throwingest kid in the history of America, and there were broken windows and cracked windshields enough to prove it. When I discovered mom like flowers, I picked three hundred tulips from the neighbor's yard and delivered them to her. I shut down a construction company one weekend when I discovered that the workers left the keys with the equipment and I decided to add to my collection. I wasn't wicked, but I was a ton of trouble.

    Still, I loved the Church and I looked forward to my mission. After several months in the field, I wrote home to tell mom that I had been called to a leadership position. I thought that she would be proud. When she answered my letter, she began like this: 'When I got your letter, I began to fast...'

    A fast? Why a fast? I thought. I wrote home once to tell my mother I was going to have a routine physical examination. She put my name on the prayer roll. Now she had received a letter containing what she should have considered good news, and she fasted! Her letter continued: 'because I wanted to get as close as I could to my Father in Heaven, so that I could tell him how grateful I am for what he has done for you in your life.'

    She fell on her face at his feet, 'giving him thanks'.

    (Luke 17:16) [Rending the Veil of Heaven, by Ted L. Gibbons, p.45]

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was great! Thanks so much for sharing it!!! A mother's love is a powerful thing! I am so grateful for the love that my mother always showed and continues to show for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elder Dye! Thank you so much for sharing this story of overcoming trials. It helped build on my testimony. I feel so lucky to have you as one of my zone leaders. You're great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite memory of you serving in our ward is when you share your testimony. There is a calm that falls about your shoulders like a mantle, and your speech is clear and distinct. The day you and your companions help load up Audreys apartment to that she could get on the road and start cancer treatment, will always be so very special to me. You and your companion at the time were the ONLY missionaries that she ever sat and listened to. Thanks you and I'm sure your stutter is more than a blessing from Heavenly Father. Your story opened Audrey's heart and prepared her to further light and knowledge of the gospel........

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sir will always be one of my heroes. You are appreciated and missed by many in Tennessee, but we are grateful you are back with family who knows how lucky they are to have you. God bless

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment about what you feel about the post, any questions, similar experiences or added insights!